Thursday, January 06, 2005

Losin' My Religion

My friend Duane reminded me that the House Republicans were not the thoughtful, reflective bunch that I gave them credit for being. In fact, it looks like they are exactly the kinds of jerks who would make it so that none of their self-absorbed number will ever have to be investigated if there is a deadlocked vote to do so or not in the Ethics committee, which is evenly divided between Republicans and Democrats. Very convenient. NY Times has the story here (subscription required). How bad does it have to get before people start to realize that the country we live in is starting to look like Stalin's U.S.S.R.?

And where in the world are the Dems? They should be raising the roof on this issue. Can someone please remind me why I'm a Democrat? They are such a bunch of Do-nothing Dannys these days. Maybe I'm missing something, but what have they done for anyone lately? I'm still irritated that so few have the guts to defend civil rights for all families during this ridiculous time. All I hear is, "I don't believe in changing marriage either, why don't you vote for me?"

I'm waiting for the Democrat with guts enough to say, "Yes, I believe all couples with children should be able to protect their families without spending their kids' college tuition money to hire a lawyer in order to do it! What kind of hateful ass doesn't believe that should be? And I believe couples who have committed their lives to each other should freely receive all the same protections and end of life options our society offers heterosexual married couples." And hello, if you are a fan of your body's rights, you should be concerned, too. The Republicans control everything right now so is there anything else to lose by standing up for what is right at least once in awhile before James Dobson becomes president?

I am so over this playing to the muddy middle business. The danger of assimilating to the mainstream is that you ignore the outcast, the downtrodden, or just the plain outsider--and the outsiders are frequently the ones who have had to think about things the most. If Democrats would challenge people rather than trying to convince them that they believe the same things as everyone when they don't, they might find that many Americans change their minds when they understand all of the facts. No one respects a "yes"-man.




2 Comments:

Blogger scud said...

Nice Blog. I like the layout. However, your friend Duane has misled you, as has the NYTimes. Be careful what Koolaide you drink. I'm a Christian and a conservative and sadly for you, don't fit into any of your neatly prepackaged stereotypes. I think that before you compare the U. S. to Stalin's U.S.S.R. you might want to read a little history, and I suggest you read from several sources so you don't happen onto the Michael Moore version. But I agree with you about the Dems idiological path, the farther left you continue to go the better for the country, because there won't be another democratic president for the forseeable future. Blog on!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

Scud, thanks for reading and commenting. If you are a conservative Christian who does not fit any of my stereotypes you should by no means think that would make me sad. It actually sounds like a true reason to praise the Lord. If you don't mind me asking, how would you articulate the difference between someone like you and the religious right as it looks to me (Dobson, Falwell, Swaggert, Santorum, etc.)?

I'd also like to know what you read that made you say the NY Times has mislead me. If you'll point out specific examples I'll be happy to post those as well.

What other news sources would you suggest I read to get another perspective on this story? From what I could gather, the Washington Post , pretty conservative in my opinion, said pretty much the same thing as the NYT on this issue.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home