Thursday, December 29, 2005

A Letter to Daniel

Dear Daniel,

We had so much fun at your house on Christmas night. I had a great time playing with your new train and listening to your Polar Express songs. Thank you for offering to let us borrow your copy of the movie. I know once I see it I'll be able to tell you which song is my favorite. And by the way, even though you say that first song is too fast for you, you sing it really well.

We had fun playing “cage the Sharptooths and the Longnecks” with you and Mari. If you ever decide you are tired of being kids, you might want to consider becoming dinosaurs.

I was REALLY impressed with how good you and Mari are at waving sparklers in the dark. A lot of five year olds would be scared of them. And the way you made all those confetti poppers explode! Very exciting. I hope there wasn't too much of a mess in the front yard to clean up the next day.

Speaking of the next day, as you sat on the stairs while we got ready to leave you asked us if tomorrow would still be Christmas. As I thought about it later, I think my answer was kind of a buzz kill; I said that Christmas would be over the next day. Thankfully I was only using half of my brain. The correct answer to your question, Daniel, is that there are, in fact, twelve (!) days of Christmas. The day after was just the 2nd day. Today is only the fifth day of Christmas, so you still have plenty of time to whoop it up.

Make the most of it all. God blesses people your age with a special ability to make Christmas as fun as it can be. It is one of your jobs as a kid to help us adults remember how to celebrate!

We are looking forward to our trip to see the trains with you, Mari, Papa and Daddy,

Much Love and Merry 5th Day of Christmas!

Uncle Troy


(Daniel is the five-year old son of our friends Duane and Todd. I doubt he is a regular reader of Growing Sense yet, but maybe his Papa will pass this letter on to him. He and Mari (his sister who is 4) are both brilliant. Earlier this month Daniel sat his grandmother Tia down before she and granddad left for their home in Florida to tell her all of the reasons why they didn't have to stay down there all winter. They were as follows: you can drink hot chocolate by the fire and watch movies, you can build snowmen and have snowball fights and go sledding. He also pointed out that their house here is on a lake, which means that they can ice skate almost whenever they want. It all made perfect sense to me.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home