Monday, April 03, 2006

Indiana "Embraces" Daylight Savings Times

When I first moved to Indiana I was shocked to realize that the state had decided years ago just to ignore Daylight Savings Time. It was so hard to remember what time it was in other states because even though we didn't change our clocks back and forth twice a year EVERYONE ELSE IN THE U.S. DID! (Except for Arizona I think.)

Well, love 'em or hate 'em, governor Mitch Daniels and the Indiana House and Senate finally booted Indiana into the 19th century by forcing the state to observe DST and to commit to being in the Eastern Time Zone. I think there are some counties that are exceptions, but I can't be bothered to learn which ones they are.

I didn't realize what the hubub was about until this weekend. I just thought the whole discussion was so ridiculous I refused to follow it. Evidently,in the spring, summer and fall, the farmers (rural folk) want earlier light to work by and the industrialists (city folk) want later light and to be on a time schedule that doesn't confuse their customers in other states. So I guess this was a choice between being a farm state or an industry state.

Whatever. We all set our clocks up an hour and nobody fell off the edge of the Earth.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the time change! I wish we never would have changed. I'm a get up early, go to bed early kind of girl and this is throwing my body clock into fits!

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home