Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Say What!? Tom Delay Exterminates Himself

TIME broke the story. Here is the Washington Post version from Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.

Rep. Tom DeLay (R-Tex.), a primary architect of the Republican majority who became one of the most powerful and feared leaders in Washington, told House allies last night that he will give up his seat rather than face a reelection fight that appears increasingly unwinnable.

The decision came three days after Tony C. Rudy, his former deputy chief of staff, pleaded guilty to conspiracy and corruption charges, telling federal prosecutors of a criminal enterprise being run out of DeLay's leadership offices. Rudy's plea agreement did not implicate DeLay in any illegal activities, but by placing the influence-buying efforts of disgraced Republican lobbyist Jack Abramoff directly in DeLay's operation, the former aide may have made an already difficult reelection bid all but out of reach.


Okay, first of all, there aren't many diehard politicians (and Delay certainly is that) who would resign a seat they hold until November just to drop out of a politcal race. We'll be hearing more about this I think.

Here's the good news for the religious right, from Time:

DeLay, a Baptist born in the border city of Laredo, said he "spent a lot of time" praying about his decision and that his personal relationship with Jesus drives his day-to-day actions. "My faith is who I am," he said. When DeLay was booked on the Texas charges, he wore his Congressional I.D. pin and flashed a broad smile designed to thwart Democrats who had hoped to make wide use of an image of a glowering DeLay. "I said a little prayer before I actually did the fingerprint thing, and the picture," he said. "My prayer was basically: 'Let people see Christ through me. And let me smile.' Now, when they took the shot, from my side, I thought it was fakiest smile I'd ever given. But through the camera, it was glowing. I mean, it had the right impact. Poor old left couldn't use it at all."


Evidently Jesus isn't just the Great Physician, he's also the Fabulous Cosmetic Dentist. I can see His sign, "Making fakey smiles look real for centuries."

Recently, he said, he has been hearing from many people who want his help on projects outside Congress. He said his decision was cemented by the thunderous response at a conference in Washington last Wednesday decrying the "War on Christianity."


If there is a war on Christianity, it seems to me that cynical politicians like Delay are the ones attacking it. At least he won't be able to do it from a seat in Congress.

Update: So Delay has been packing the House with his brand of Republicans (yes, I do realize not all Republicans are like him), and this is the outcome. I wonder if that "house built on sinking sand" analogy will apply here.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I was THRILLED when I heard the news about DeLay's resignation and not because I'm a democrat who wants to take back the House and Senate (though that would be nice . . .) but because he always struck me as a mean, vindictive person who took the approach to governing of my-way-or-the-highway which in the end really does no one any good. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting our government officials to get along, be able to work together to get things done not have their primary concern being to get all their friends into lucrative lobbying jobs and take a lot of free golf trips to Scotland. While I was never a big fan of DeLay, what pushed me over the edge was when he started calling for the impeachment of judges who weren't rulling the way he wanted in the Terry Schiavo case. In his mind, democracy in America should look a little like, hmmm, the old Soviet Russia perhaps or communist China - where people are thrown in jail for thinking differently. Anyway, I think its not only democrats who should be popping open the champagne tonight but also Republicans (I'm certain my senator, Arlen Specter was doing a little jig in his office this morning) in the hopes that you can replace DeLay with some people who think in America, our government is about consensus building not stomping on the people from across the aisle.
Rosie

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home