Friday, September 24, 2004

i LOVE this guy!

Check this blogger out if you have time. He is a 20-something same-sex attracted guy who is traveling the ex-gay route. He lays it ALL out there and he knows a friend of mine from Texas (in FL now, I think). I can identify with Ben's perspective. I've had a lot of the same thoughts in the past, though I'm lucky enough not to have run into the same kinds of problem issues and people he has. He says he likes Indy's downtown Borders bookstore, though I think he lives in DC. If he ever comes back to town, John and I hope to take him to dinner to chat with him and help him bypass the gay scene he may be struggling to avoid. And check out those comments! No shortage of judgement there. Human nature I guess, but it's too bad people can't just let him do things at his own pace in his own way.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't help but suspect you haven't read much of Ben's site "Scattered Words". Reading some of your site leads me to this conclusion.

If you had, you would see that Ben deserves much of the negative feedback he gets. It's not that I feel good about seeing him disagreed with, it's just that he puts so much misinformation out there (while pretending it's a private journal that means no harm and deserves no criticism) it's nice to see that those who recognize his dark intent have the courage to speak up.

If you're scared of thinking for yourself, chances are you'll appreciate Ben's blog.

Brock

10:44 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

Thanks for your comment.

I've actually read enough of Ben's blog to know that he and I disagree on a lot of things, especially when it comes to issues of sexuality and Christianity. However, since I've had many of the same thoughts and questions he has in the past, I respect the journey he is on and his ability to voice the divisive struggle he faces. It is my opinion, and it may be a lonely one, that someone who is as isolated as he seems to be doesn't benefit from advice from people who are not in actual relationship with him. Therefore, while I don't think it is problematic to pose questions that he may not have considered, I prefer not to judge him or advise him.

I don't know if I would enjoy his blog as much as I do if I were not able to think critically on my own--and perhaps it would scare me. But as it is, I am not afraid of any word. As for "misinformation" he may be putting out there, I put my own version of information out there as well. People believe what they want to believe. There is not much I can do to change that beyond what I do in my life already.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

And while I'm thinking of it, I think Ben should be allowed to pursue a heterosexual life for himself. It is his choice to make.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home