Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Indiana's Rising Bigot Tide

Here it comes. The vote we've all been waiting for. I don't know how many more times I can come up for air in this state.

Okay. I'm going to postpone my trauma and temper tantrums. But how do we fight this? I refuse to sit around waiting for this to happen.

And can someone please tell me what the hell this part of Alting's statement means?

"I voted in favor of it," Alting said. "I feel very emotional on that kind of vote. I lost my wife to cancer years ago; I wish I had my wife today to remind them of the importance of the bond between a man and woman.

"That’s just how I believe and that’s how I will vote."

Frankly, I feel very emotional on this issue as well. As painful as his wife's death was, I bet he did not have to deal with all that John and I will have to when one of us passes. Why does his remark, sad as it is, make me so angry? Perhaps it is his absolute assumption that John and I can have no bond that approaches the one he shared with his wife simply because they had differing reproductive systems.

I believe I'll start by asking for an appointment with Alting (yes, after I've calmed down). And I'd like to invite at least one of my Indiana friends who has a stake in the outcome of this, and you KNOW who you are, to join me. I'll bring the government document that outlines how we are marginalized by such votes, you bring the partner and kids.




1 Comments:

Blogger Troy said...

Let's just say that I'm open to entertaining likely candidates, but you're comment indicates that you have a pretty good idea of who I'm talking about. Truly, I don't think it would have to be only partners with kids. In fact, it might be a good idea to have a couple who is near/in retirement be a part of the visit.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home