Monday, June 12, 2006

Top Ten Things that Remind Me of Summer

We just had a weekend that was in the 60s. On Saturday John built a fire in the woodstove (in the middle of JUNE)! Things are back to normal today, but the cool snap caused me to meditate a little on what reminds me of summer. I decided to turn it into a list. Send me your own.

1. Potato Salad (my mom's recipe)

2. Being in the house all day with the doors to the screen porch open so a breeze comes in and I can hear the birds sing and neighbor kids play. Indiana has cool summer nights too so we can swing on the porch outside.

3. The sound of a house fan--the louder the better. I used to sleep best in my grandparents' house when their enormous ceiling fan was going full blast. That thing was as big as a propellor on the Titanic. I eyed an old one at Midland Antique Market the other day, but it was 60.00 and frankly, not noisy enough for the price.

4. When our Japanese Irises bloom. Irises are usually associated with spring, but these bloom later. They take forever, but they are always worth the wait.

5. Fourth of July in our neighborhood. I like to put the stars and stripes up on our house. Our neighbors John and Marcia always invite us across the street to eat and watch the fireworks that go off over downtown. Their entire family comes, too and they cook ALL day--ribs, corn, collard greens (the right way), cornbread. We can barely walk back home. This year though I think we are going out to Symphony on the Prairie with Duane, Todd, the kids and Todd's folks. Maybe another tradition in the making? Thankfully, John and Marcia always invites us back over on July 5th for leftovers!

6. Homemade Orange Crush Ice Cream--nothing natural about it, but boy is it good.

7. All the watermelon I can eat. I buy ours at Johnny's market. They're huge and good there. John doesn't eat it, which makes me happy because I can almost eat a whole one by myself in one sitting. There are two people I know who love Watermelon as much as I do--my friend Rosie and my friend Carol. They get the same "junkie" look in their eyes when they talk about them.

8. All the peaches I can eat. Indiana has great peaches.

9. Tomatoes--Indiana's tomatoes rock! And people here grow a bazillion kinds. It almost makes up for the lack of okra (it doesn't get hot enough to grow well here).

10. Lightening bugs, Cicadas, and Bobwhites (is that really what those birds are called?) I know, that's three things, but I never really think of one without the others.


10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, peaches. It's hard to beat a nice, fresh peach.

Summer for me is zucchini, squash, and okra.

Less traffic on the way to work!!

Lots of cookouts. I love grilled corn on the cob.

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm, like wow Troy, I can't believe the Indiana State Fair didn't make your list.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

Sorry Dave. As much as I adore it, I can't help but think of the State Fair as the beginning of fall. Fair just happened later where I grew up and I can't shake the memory. Perhaps that will change this year since we will be observing daylight savings time.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have I told you how much I love your new profile picture? I love seeing your smiling face every time I visit your blog. The other one was cute, but I'd rather see the real Troy.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think of the Great Indiana State Fair as the last blast of Summer. I love to hear the sounds of the children in our neighborhood playing "Marco Polo" in the pool. And the little girls who live down the road and sell sunflowers for $1.00. The best part is the gift with purchase, you get a bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gotta love a gift with purchase.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. My birthday - I love having a summer bday. :) I could always have outside pool parties, ride my *new* bike, etc.

2. My Grandpa and Dad's birthdays - both ALSO in July - we always celebrated together (now it's just me and Dad).

3. FOURTH OF JULY - need I say more?? The BEST holiday - eva!

4. Tomatoes covered in salt and mixed with all meals.

5. COOK OUTS! I just love to eat grilled chicken, burgers, dogs, bratts, you name it...i love it grilled and Erich is the best!

6. Open windows and late night walks.

7. Blue jays building nests near the condo.

8. Everything that is hot and sweaty since by July, in Indiana, you just are.

9. Long weekends at the lakes, tubing and hanging out getting fried and eating too much watermelon.

10. Going outside on my lunch hour, reading on the circle and wearing tank tops under my work clothes.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

Thanks Jennie. I didn't really have suitable pic of me or I would have included one earlier. John took this one to go with a small article I wrote for the Indianapolis Star about trees. Thought I'd repurpose it.

I also love the decrease in traffic in summer and the thought that "vacation" is always running through people's minds.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this will be my third post on this particular article but my gosh, we're on a roll here folks...

1. the great indiana state fair...need I say more?

2. talbott street art fair

3. taking walks downtown with Ken and getting an ice cream and watching the people and carriages

4. sitting on the balcony

5. early morning running at Eagle Creek and watching the sun rise while I run.

6. my birthday

7. enjoying watching Ken enjoy the fireworks downtown from our balcony...and then watching the people leave, hopefully very quickly

8. pride weekend

9. driving to work in the cooler morning temps with my sunroof and windows open

10. summer "block-buster" movies that are just plain fun to watch but you don't have to put a lot of thought in to them...save the "heavies" for winter

12:17 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

Blockbusters! I forgot about those--summer nights in a cool theater. What could be better?

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home