Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Conor-On Making the Outside Match the Inside

Conor who last posted as guest blogger a few days ago is a friend of ours. He is a junior in high school and Dave, John, and I have been joking with him for a year about how we were going to "help" him get ready for his prom. Well, believe it or not, he actually let us! So here is Conor before:


Conor before
Originally uploaded by Troy Smythe.



John took him to Origins to teach him how to take care of his face. Dave and I helped him pick out and get fitted for his tux (the tie is Dave's). We also taught him how to walk in it and took him out to eat to go over table manners. Another friend (also named Dave) gave him a killer haircut. I took him to get a manicure and pedicure (the pedicure was just for fun. I don't think he took his shoes off during the prom, but I think everybody should have at least one pedicure in their life. He seemed to enjoy it). Don, who is a florist took care of his date's coursage.

And here was the result:


Conor and Abby
Originally uploaded by Troy Smythe.



It is a good thing we did the work, because Abby, his girfriend, is beautiful. She and her mom made her dress, which is perfectly simple and elegant. Conor asked his parents to drop a small box of Abby's favorite chocolates by her house so it would be waiting for her when she got home. I told him that this would automatically put him into the Boyfriend Hall of Fame.

You have to admit, the man knows how to work a tux! We are mighty proud of Conor, though we can only take so much credit. He already had the goods when it came to the important things--character, honesty, compassion, intelligence. Now, he knows how to make the outside match the inside.


9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lucky Conor is to have mentors like you and David to help him. I loved his paper on adoption, it was VERY well written. People like Conor and Abby let me have hope for the future.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way...

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So proud of both of them, just so proud. Years from now they can look at this photo and still be proud that they looked "timeless." As opposed to my burgundy tux with pink ruffled shirt that matched Rebecca's GunneSax dress....eeeeek!

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um...Troy, do you like charge a rate for these services. Now that Karen has read this entry, I have a whole net set of expectations set for me...thanks a lot! Seriously, you guys rock!...and Conor in now ready to take Spain by storm!

P.S. If I give you a key to my house, will you put some chocolates in our bed while I take Karen out to dinner?haha

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Show them all the beauty they possess inside.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

Marc, tell Karen you could teach US a thing or two.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Troy. It's Marcie :).

I think he looks amazing! You all did a wonderful job!

I hope all is well and I truly adore your blogspot. It is fabulous!

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was my pleasure to make the corsage that he selected for his lovely date. "Something with tiger lilies," he said. I told him only if they squirt water, then worked to find a workable, wearable sub. He was a delight to serve.

3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. You guys need one hell of a job,but I agree, Conor has all the goods already. What a great looking couple. Rachel

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home