Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Evil Women

Okay, I read this over at Pam's Houseblend yesterday, and for some reason it is still bugging me today so I decided to blog about it. I think it bothers me so much because something similar happened to a woman named Twyla in the Southern Baptist Church where I grew up. She was a beloved and powerful children's teacher and a great counselor. Some woman, who is my age, who didn't even grow up there, decided Twyla wasn't conservative enough for her and got this woman who'd been teaching there for about 30 years "fired." The same disrespect for the wisdom of experience shows itself when young pastor Timothy LaBouf of First Baptist Church, Watertown pulls this stunt.

"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became sinner".
-- scripture quoted in a letter to 81-year-old Mary Lambert, who was booted from adult Sunday school position because she's a woman.


The Rev. Timothy LaBouf, who also serves on the Watertown City Council, issued a statement saying his stance against women teaching men in Sunday school would not affect his decisions as a city leader in Watertown, where all five members of the council are men but the city manager who runs the city's day-to-day operations is a woman.

"I believe that a woman can perform any job and fulfill any responsibility that she desires to" outside of the church, LaBouf wrote Saturday.


Sure you do, Tim.

Mayor Jeffrey Graham, however, was bothered by the reasons given for Lambert's dismissal. "If what's said in that letter reflects the councilman's views, those are disturbing remarks in this day and age," Graham said. "Maybe they wouldn't have been disturbing 500 years ago, but they are now."


You said it Mayor.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My main question about this story is how does this person, with obviously skewed views of the world, get named minister or even more frightening elected to public office???? These arch conservatives cannot be allowed to impose their views on the public at large! I respect their right to have these views, I do not want them imposed on me.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twyla, (or as I affectionally called her, Twinkle Toes), was the best thing that ever happened to First Baptist Church. She gave me a ladle in our selected flatware pattern as a wedding gift because she wanted us to remember she gave it to us. She thought a fork or a knife or a spoon was too ordinary. Twyla is definitely anything but ordinary and I love her with all of my heart. It's such a shame that my nephews won't be able to experience Children's Church with her because of someone else's ignorance.

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good question Sally - I think the reason why a person like this gets elected to public office is because there is no one else running. I am as guilty as the next thinking-person of sitting by and and letting other people run for school boards and city councils believing what harm can they really do. I think this situation shows exactly what kind of harm they can do and the more things like this appear in the media the more I reconsider sitting back and letting other people run my school board, city, and state.
Rosie

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home