Saturday, July 29, 2006

Passion of the Anti-Semite

Mel Gibson got busted for drunk driving a few days ago. From E! Online:

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested and said things I do not believe to be true and which are despicable," Gibson said in a statement.


Said what?

According to TMZ.com, Gibson called the arresting deputy a "motherf---ker," whom he was going to "f--k" on account of "he [Gibson] 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me [the deputy]."

Later, the Website reported, Gibson ranted about the "f--king Jews," who "are responsible for all the wars in the world," and asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?" (Gibson, who helped build a Catholic church in Malibu, is not.)


Yeah, don't we all start shouting anti-semitic worldview we don't believe when we've had a few too many? Something about Gibson's sobered up post-arrest statement makes me more likely to believe his drunken rant. I don't judge people who struggle with alcohol abuse. It is a disease. But his sober statement seems like a lie designed to save the career of a reluctanly outed bigot.

Update: From the AP's Andrew Glazer

Meanwhile, ABC announced it had canceled a planned miniseries about the Holocaust that it was developing with Gibson's Icon Productions.


Gibson was going to do a mini-series on the Holocaust? Really? Isn't that a little like the Klan producing a Civil War documentary?


2 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

AW lord. I hollered at the Klan comment. Tis the reason I don't drive thru Harrison to this day. Folks don't believe me when I say the Grand Wizard lives there...but I digress. I too, am having doubts about Mr. Gibson's apology...I mean I have been a little snockered and I don't go around yelling racial slurs and curse words at each other....strange man that Mel. Strange indeed.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

Crystal, you don't have to convince me the Grand Wizard lives in Harrison. They had a big rally there (closer to Jasper I think) back when I was in college in the 80s. It could be worse though, Indiana was goverened by the Klan back in the 1930s to (most) everyone's embarrassment today.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home