Thursday, August 31, 2006

Menswear Muddle

For the last three years I have been mostly bored by affordable mens fashion. I would say that part of the problem is that I don't shop in New York, but three years ago I was able to walk into an Indianapolis mall and find at least one pair of pants that didn't put me to sleep. I only bring this up because I just got J. Crew's fall catalogue and it is a complete drag--the love child of Gap and Lands End. Not that I have anything against either of those stores, but J. Crew used to be a little more progressive.

I got online to see if there was any hope for creative clothing on the horizon, especially for big guys like me. I'm happy to report that there is some light at the end of the tunnel if you are not into European styling, which tends to be slimmer cut. I like European clothes. Most just don't fit my bulky frame well.

Looks like Marc Jacobs, Ralph Lauren are Michael Kors are all bringing back some wider shouldered options. This is good for me, and I love Kors' big scarves. Typically wider cut shoulders are paired with slimmer cut pants, a look that I like and that also works for me (I have skinny legs). More good news is that drapier slacks are coming back in, at least for Marc Jacobs--think Cary Grant in the 30s. Paired with the right fitted sweaters the combo makes for a nice profile.

And believe it or not, its okay to wear pleated as well as flat front pants again. Cuffs are back. And don't throw away those cords.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erich and I are hitting up Mass Ave. Art and Food thing next weekend and we've invited Karen and Marc. Not only would it be blogworthy for you, but you could spoort a new pair of Michael Kors pants if you order some NOW! :)

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home