Thursday, September 07, 2006

Utilikilts Deconstructed

As I explored the boring side of men's fashion over the last few days I ran across Utilikilts, their homepage is here. The photos below are from their site.



I gotta tell you, they work for me. I don't necessarily mean for me to wear, but at least for me to admire. Why do they work? For the same reason they worked for Egyptian pharoahs, warriors in the Congo, and, though I'm no big fan of his, Russell Crowe in Gladiator.

Stylistically, I think they work the way that a guy wearing a towel or shorts with a long-sleeved shirt wrapped around his waist do. Utilikilts typically produce an inverted 'V' from the waist down that mirrors the 'V' formed from a guy's shoulders to his waist.

One should give the same attention to what Utilikilt to wear as one would any lower-body covering. For instance, though I like the fit of the green one in the first photo, the color doesn't appeal to me. I'd like to see him in a brown or khaki one. And if you look at the little guy behind him, you see how wrong things can go. The pattern, probably his family plaid, in that cut (too high above the knee) makes it look like a man's torso has been placed on the legs of a Catholic school girl. The plaid one is not a Utilikilt I don't think.

The desert camo look in the second photograph is kind of interesting. As with the utilikilted man above, a wide belt is a must. I hope these guys are twins. Otherwise, there's really no excuse for the matching boots (and socks).

Evidently, Utilikilts are here to stay for awhile. They were born in Seattle about six years ago. They are supposed to be very comfortable and practical. Cool (grunge scene standard issue) and geeky (popular at Renaissance fairs) at the same time, I enjoy looking at them in the right setting. What do you think?


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was reading a knitting blog and the lady that writes it mentioned a man in a utilikilt and the commenters went wild. They love a man in a kilt! So I say "go for it".

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are very comfortable, tried one on from Utilikilts this past spring... I didn't think is was man enough to wear it around Indy, so I didn't buy it. Oh well maybe someday. lol

Jim F.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

Jim, I know what you mean. Indianapolis is a ways from Seattle, but I think you should go for it. Would be great to wear hiking or on vacation to the beach.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would scare some of the people at church if I wore a kilt there. There would be mayhem in the streets. lol

Jim. F

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home