Monday, January 23, 2006

New Anti-gay Buzzword

"Homosexualization"--Watch for it!

As in "Homosexualization of America." Expect to see this phrase trotted out frequently by the religious right in the near future. I've seen it popping up in different media outlets. If you are a straight person who is secure in their sexual identity, I probably don't need to tell you that the idea that people, much less a nation, can be "homosexualized" is ludicrous.

But I will add a buzz phrase to the mix though: "state-sanctioned discrimination." As in, not providing all families the same protections is "state sanctioned discrimination." Go forth and multiply little buzz phrase!


2 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

I just found this post, and I'm wondering where you first heard that word.

It reminds me of the article I read on jacobmorse.blogspot.com about Brokeback Mountain.

The article was about the "homosexual agenda," pretty much the same old religious right nut stuff. But the theme approaches a fear of, as you so aptly put it, "homosexualization."

I commented on it on my blog:
http://futuregeek.blogspot.com/2006/01/rapists-and-first-impressions.html

8:58 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

I first heard it when Larry King had a (January 2006) about hollywood and homosexuality.

Some right-wing fear monger woman discussed Brokeback in terms of the homosexualization of America. WIthin two days I read the term in the paper.

I'm sure there is a talking points memo somewhere with this word on it.

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home