Monday, June 19, 2006

Ready for the 4th


House ready for the holiday
Originally uploaded by Troy Smythe.
Got the colors out for the 4th. Every year I toy with getting a flag for the front porch. John actually has one. He got it when he became an Eagle Scout and it is really nice. He showed it to me once. Understandably, he doesn't want to expose it to the weather too much. I got the impression that this one would not be flying over the porch.

I could order another one, but I get antsy about all of the lighting and handling protocol I don't know about. If I ordered it, John would be in charge of it's care since I know he knows what to do, and I'm sure I could learn.

But maybe the banners and the bunting are enough.

On a gardening note, you can't really see them well in the picture above, but in front of the right side of the front porch are the 10 rose bushes we planted this spring. The rose is called 'Wisley', and it looks like the picture below. The flower heads are huge and because the stems are so young the blooms kind of flop over, but they smell really good and I like the color a lot. I think the flopping will stop when the stems mature.

Speaking of gardening, we helped John's dad, Don and his wife move to their new house on Father's Day (actually just two truckloads of boxes, movers are moving the furniture later). I really like the place. It is on a wooded lot with lots of nice trees. They are going to have my friend Chris come out and draw up a landscaping plan for them, so maybe I can take some before and after shots.




4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

I think you are the one I would think of first, Linda. I'll never forget going into your basement when you and Suzannah first moved in and seeing Cat. 5 cable running everywhere. John was so excited he talked about it all the way home. Fortunately, I think John has enough X (or is it Y) chromosome to do the lighting. I just think we'd forget to turn it on and that descerates the flag, then you have to burn it, and I hate to burn perfectly goo fabric...You see what I mean?

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flag etiquette is very complicated. I once got yelled at by a boy scout because the flags at the store where I was working were not correct. Beautiful roses by the way.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

Sally you make my point. Once at Ouachita Baptist University where I went my freshman year a flag was not properly lit and an anonymous ROTC student stole it and held it hostage. Why can't people just politely tell people what they need to know about flag display?

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home