Thursday, October 26, 2006

Pickin' Meat

Tonight I'm baking a peppered ham for some neighbors who just had a new baby (his name is Ben and he's super cute). I love ham, and I always forget how great it smells when it's baking. I bet if my people had to choose between turkey and ham for Thanksgiving (we usually have both), a family vote would favor the pig. A turkey is generally more elegant. Few un-carved things sit so beautifully on a platter, but judging strictly on taste I really think ham is the way we'd go.

Arkansans, like most people in the south and a lot of people here in the midwest, have adored ham for ages (it is no coincidence that the University of Arkansas has a mythologized pig for a mascot). I don't care for the weird loaf-shaped slabs or the deli cuts (if I want flavorless ham, I'll just eat thin-sliced turkey. It’s healthier.). I like the kind of ham that you can fry up in the morning and make red-eye gravy with. Throw in a few biscuits, eggs, and coffee and I wouldn't have to eat again for the rest of the day.

So how about you? Turkey or ham? If on Thanksgiving Day you had to make such a sad choice, which would it be?


8 Comments:

Blogger Mike Mather said...

Dear Troy,

I'm a ham man myself. Though I just got saw my father this week and he was talking with me about Thanksgiving. Now that we live in Indianapolis people are coming to our home for the holiday -- cuz we're right in the middle of a spread-out clan. Anyway...last year was the first of these annual holiday celebrations here in Indy and Dad and Sue got a salmon and cooked it for Thanksgiving. This year Dad said to me -- "can you arrange to pick up the traditional Thanksgiving salmon, Mike?"

4:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Troy and Mike,
I love it...the traditional Thanksgiving salmon...don'cha just love traditions? Being a vegetarian, I cannot comment on which I prefer, ham or turkey. Though I must say that when I did eat meat, I LOVED ham, especially as prepared by the Boy Scouts for their annual ham sandwich fundraiser on the town square. I agree that ham is a wonderful breakfast meat cooked alongside a couple fried eggs. My Mom traditionally prepares a single dish of vegetarian stuffing for me each year and hides it on the lower shelf of the table saw (we have our Thanksgiving in my brother Phil's garage.)

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a turkey girl myself. Never been a fan of the ham. In fact, I'm not crazy about Easter, I call it "The Ham Holiday". Besides, Hamfurky just doesn't have the same ring as Tofurky for your vegetarian friends.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

That is a really tough call. I mean, I grew up eating Thanksgiving turkey, but I love ham, too. Okay...if I have to choose, I'll go with turkey. But I do have to tell you that one year for Easter, my mom made a turkey-ham. Basically, it looks like a ham, but it's made of turkey. How does that work, anyway?

6:31 AM  
Blogger juliebelle said...

in the mcclain family we call the red-eye gravy version of ham "real ham."

real ham or bust.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Effingham!!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

Note that all of the Arkansans have chosen ham so far.

6:13 PM  
Blogger sirrom said...

Ham!!! And the kind we get at Coursey's Smokehouse on the way to Fayetteville is the best. Your Mom, Dad, Trish and I always stopped there for sandwiches, going or coming from the game. The cheese and bacon offerings weren't bad either.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home