Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Weigh Down Wednesday--Weight Loss Grief Stages?

Are there stages in beginning a journey towards a healthier weight, like there are in Elizabeth Kubler-Ross’s stages of death and dying? After all, I believe her stages originally applied to any traumatic event. If so, I think I’m entering the bargaining stage. How about you?


1 DENIAL --- My pants are shrinking, and dang it, so is every one of my belts and the driver’s seat of my car! All I need to do is cut back.

2 ANGER --- I can’t believe I let myself get this way! Throw me that box of Ding Dongs. I’ll show them who’s boss. My body actually wants me to be fat! I bet the people who run Weight Watchers have a GREAT time when they get together--“No points for turnips and raw green beans—Hilarious! Which one of you came up with that? Here, you get TWO gold stars.”

3 BARGAINING --- Ok, I am gonna eat this half a bucket of KFC, BUT I’ll run to Pittsburgh and back after dinner to work it off.

4 DEPRESSION --- What am I gonna do? This health thing is really important and kind of hard. My life will be cut short if I don’t make permanent changes. Not sure…I can…go…on. Must… have…Thin Mints

5 ACCEPTANCE --- This is the way it is. It will be a long process full of good days and bad. Get on with it. Do the next right thing.


I’m no expert on this stage theory, but I’ve heard you can be in more than one stage at a time and that they aren’t always sequential. And rethinking food for some of you may not even be a tragic event. It is for me I guess. I actually gained a pound last week! Ugh.


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am loving all the blog updates. My question is why do they make Girl Scout cookie time during Lent and after the holidays when everyone is trying to be more healthy? It just doesn't seem fair. I think you should get negative points for eating Turnips, yikes!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

Thank you Sally! Sympathy rather than advice is what I needed today.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the Thin Mints comment at the end of the depression stage. I ordered my cookies from Carey's niece in St. Louis this year, so I'll be getting mine when everyone was wishing they hadn't eaten theirs so fast! :)

Don't worry about the 1 pound Troy - Have you ever watched The Biggest Loser? The ones that gained one week always lost a bunch the next...I always found it ridiculous that I would eat pizza or something unhealthy while watching that show, but I really did love it.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

From my sister and brother-in-law:

Hi Yort!
Kev weighed in w/ a 2.8 lb loss and me w/ 1.9 lb loss. All this is very amazing because we pigged out at our Academy Award party! Rock on!

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm right there with ya! I'm personally a huge fan of the "candy corn diet". I follow that closely by the "chocolate-covered-cherry diet". Then, after New Year's, I start the "candy heart diet", which is quickly followed by the "chocolate egg diet", etc...

11:00 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

From mom and dad:

We have had our weigh in this morning, Dad lost 2.5 and I lost 2.5. I think this is pretty good for both of us, but I know I lose weight slowly, but maybe next week will be better. We are doing our 1 mile workout every morning, a video by Leslie Sansone, finally got up to a mile on Monday.

(Jennie over at Trimandfashonable has kindly agreed to go over to mom and dad's to show them how to post comments when she is in Batesville this weekend. Thanks JEM!)

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home