Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Smythe Family Wednesday Weigh Down

When I visited my folks a few weekends ago my dad mentioned that his doctor had said he needed to work on getting to a more healthy weight. I said I had joined Weight Watchers and that maybe we could lose weight together. "You mean, like a contest?" my dad said (my dad is very competitive). That wasn't really what I had in mind, but then I decided that, hey, if that's what would get him into it, why not?

So I e-mailed my mom and she told my sister and brother-in-law and they decided they wanted in on the act, too.

The "Get There" Challenge

All five of us ante up 30 bucks. The first person to lose 10% of their body weight wins the pot. We decided on a percentage rather than a specific amount. Mom is not interested in having her weight posted on the web. Actually she doesn't want to tell anyone her weight, including us (I don't know what that is about, she doesn't really have THAT much to lose). I was willing to work on the honor system, but dad said we wouldn't have a way of knowing if mom cheated or not. For those of you who don't know my mom, when it comes to our family, she would be the last person to cheat at a game. My dad, however, would be the first (project much?), followed by me, and then my sister. Anyway, all that to say, you won't be seeing my mom's weight on here. I refuse to attach shame to weight (I think of it in terms of health and more clothing options) so I'm fine with telling you that I weighed in at 222.


The "Make it Last" Challenge

Everyone maintains their goal weight until the last person reaches theirs. Then, anyone who maintains their weight for six months after that gets some sort of prize. Actually, I haven't given the second challenge much thought, so I don't have the whole prize thing figured out. Growing Sense readers are welcome to offer suggestions.


Each Wednesday, will be Weigh Down Wednesday. I'll post a question or struggle and at least my family should post responses, this is our way of checking in. Other people are certainly welcome to offer support and perspective as well. And hey, if you want to join in the game, just let me know!

For the record, doing this on the web goes against everything I believe about making weight-loss efforts public (a sure way to jinx things), but I'm throwing caution to the wind and goin' for it anyway!


9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun! It still cracks me up that Mr. Jim only wanted to do it if it was a competition. I guess the reason I find it so funny is because I'm really competitive, too. :)

Good luck everyone!

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Troy, I hope you win, and also that everyone achieves their goals. I gave up celebrity gossip websites for Lent, so I need you to post frequently, so I will have something new to read.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All righty..I'm in! I've stocked up on celery and bottled water and started smoking cigarettes again (I heard that helps) and I will be racing towards my own 10%! Oh, by the way, according to my scales, 10% amounts to 25 lbs (do the math, folks). So, I have my work cut out for me! I look forward to the challenge!

4:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Troy,

You can do it, you can do it
You can! (clap-clap)

So goes the cheer from good 'ole Danville High School's famous cheer-leading squad. It was always a favorite when things were getting down to the wire.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

This was the comment from my sister:

Hi! Here's the low down on us. I weighed 141.8 lbs today and Kevin weighed 229.2. So I will try and lose 15 lbs and Kev will try and lose 23 (even though he'll be a stick if he does). Let the games begin!
Christie

10:11 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

Comment from my mom (and dad by proxy):

I liked your blog today, and I like the ante of $30 per person, that makes it much more enticing to lose the weight. We both weighed Monday morning, but will start with the scales report in the morning and will weigh each Wednesday. This is going to be good. I will not tell Dad how much I weigh, and I do know how much he weighs, he told me.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

Oh, and Sally, I'll do my best to make extra posts for you.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

Comment from dad himself. His web debut I think. The first sentence says it all. When he retires from being a CPA he has a bright future as an attorney I think:

I am probably the most misunderstood person in the world. I admit that I use whatever means it takes to win as long as they are at least in the grey area. That is not cheating but being an opportunist. I read your blog on weight loss and was severely hurt by being characterized as being dishonest, maybe sly or devious but I promise not to use liposuction, unless I am falling behind and in danger of not finishing first. From what mom just said in the background she is now at least considering it., but do not be overly concerned since I am keeping a close eye on her. What concerns me is that she could tell us she had reached her goal and we could not dispute her without being mean to her which would make my life miserable for eternity. You may have opened a real can of worms here.

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That comment from your dad just made my whole week. Hilarious. He is such a great writer!!

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home