Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Decked Halls


This is the first year I haven't put every Christmas thing I have out. I never understood why my mom didn't put it all out until this year. By the time midnight came and went on Saturday, I'd just had enough. Part of the challenge was this sparkly antiqued silver garland that I saw at Michaels and thought I might like to use. (It doesn't really look silver in the picture, but it is.) I was about to give it a pass (I could tell it would be pretty hard to work with) but David talked me into picking it up ("You know it'll be gone next week." For some reason, fear of scarcity always seems to push me over the purchasing edge.)

I like how it turned out, but I'm not sure I would do it again. It was like massaging a porcupine.


One thing it does allow me to do is show more ornaments. The one with the frowny face I bought about five years back when my friend Felley and I were shopping at Carly's in Batesville. Felley said it reminded her of the phase her daughter Clary (a two-year old at the time) was going through. She considered buying it, but said she didn't think Clary would appreciate it later. I told her I'd buy it then because it reminded me of my brother-in-law, Paul who picks on me all the time. I didn't care if he appreciated it or not. It is one of my favorite ornaments.

Since my parents are coming for Christmas this year I got a real tree. I haven't bought a real tree in probably 10 years. I wanted a Noble Fir, but there were none to be found around here, so we got this nice Frasier from Weaver's in Broad Ripple (they have the best poinsettias, too if you need them). Funny thing though, there aren't enough branches on the tree to put all my ornaments on. Thank God for the prickly garland!

When I was over at Dave's helping him move a few boxes in their garage he pulled out this little elf. It used to be on the courthouse square in Danville (the Batesville, AR of Indiana). I told him I liked it, and he insisted that I borrow it since it would go with my other decorations. I feel a little nervous about hosting a piece of Hoosier history for the holidays, but he does seem to fit right in.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That photo of David and the elf is a holiday classic!

12:03 PM  
Blogger sirrom said...

Troy: Love the elf and all of your decorations. Happy for you that Jim and Katy are coming for Christmas. Jennie and J are here for the weekend [mostly for Charlie and Zach's piano recital. She encouraged me to make another KFC star, which I did with her help. She even supplied the box (sans chicken flavor/aroma)]. Hey to John.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could see the decorations in person, because if they are this beautiful on camera...Wow!

I'm glad you massaged the porcupine. It looks great.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home